Week 106: Coding transcripts

This week, I sent my supervisors a working draft of my analysis, which was the first version of coded transcripts. This includes the original text, word-by-word translation, idiomatic translation, CA symbols and codes of my analytical dimensions. This text data is saved in Word documents for the moment, but I’ve been thinking about how to organise codes better and sort data systematically. My colleague has recommended NVivo. It takes a little time to learn the software, but it might be worth trying it.

In the process of transcribing data, I recollect what I saw, heard and felt about the participants in the field. Listening to audio and reading through my notes takes me back to the scene. It’s a very deep feeling and each case becomes more interesting to me. Case studies really make the transcriber get involved in the context, and sometimes they might find it difficult to keep a distance and give critical views. I’ve tried to be objective while thinking of the participants with a sort of familiarity.

While preparing for a supervisory day next week, I continue to transcribe data. Only 11 cases to go! I’ve made such progress by using my commute hours to London. I’m very happy to teach Japanese in the Strand area because it gives me the chance to drop into the National Gallery, get a view of London Eye from Trafalgar Square and shop at Japan Centre.



My achievements in week 106

  • sent the working draft to my supervisors
  • finished making a full transcript of one case
  • finished teaching preparation

Goals for week 107

  • make transcripts and work on analysis
  • enjoy the first class of my teaching